- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.Id0FrFe2.dpuf Hell or High Fashion: Bohemian Rhapsody

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Bohemian Rhapsody


Vest and tank, H&M.  Skirt, F21.  Boots, Zara.

It's no secret that I have been into a more edgy look lately.  My closet is bursting with black, leather, skinny jeans, skull prints, and distressed tees that are not only fashionable but functional.  As I mentioned in my last post, this type of clothing is preferred when I'm working as a stylist for a few reasons:  jeans and boots allow me to get around comfortably, and black helps me blend into the background.  However, this new style has created a problem for me that I've never had to deal with before:  looking like everyone else.

A few weeks back I helped style a project that called for 5 different wardrobe assistants.  When I arrived to set and met the girls I'd be working with for the day, I was caught off guard by what I saw.  All four other ladies were decked out in their own version of the standard rock-girl uniform: black skinnies, combat boots, a ripped up vintage tank, and LOTS of skeleton prints.  A lot of things went through my mind, a few of them being, "Wow, I love your outfit!", "You all look the same!" and, "Do I just look like a copy of someone else?"  

I love fashion because it allows me to express who I am and how I'm feeling, and it really upset me that what I thought was MY cool, new, edgy look was actually an overdone trend.  Not wanting to give up on my leather jackets and skinny jeans, I had to figure out a new way to rock my rocker duds that allowed me to feel unique & stylish.  The answer I came up with?  ADD SPARKLES!


This 1920s-inspired skirt from Forever 21 has been one of my go-to pieces lately.  The sparkles and sequins jazz up any plain old t-shirt, and the bohemian feel compliments almost all of my rock & roll gear.  As soon as I tried it on, I knew it would be the perfect foil for my black leather H&M vest.  Something about tough leathers against girly sparkles just makes me smile!  And since the skirt is such a statement piece, I wore a neutral maroon tank on top to tone down the shine. 

To me, "bohemian rock" is synonymous with "piles of jewelry," so I added on a few necklaces, bracelets, and rings. 


Bracelets, Amrita Singh and F21.  Rings, H&M.

Necklaces; Marc Jacobs, Vintage, and Kill City.
 
I chose long pendant necklaces to jumble together in a mix of gold and gunmetal tones.  I love mixing metals- if you do it purposefully, you can't go wrong.  The wishbone necklace was a present to myself from Marc by Marc Jacobs in Boston, and the clock pendant is a series of flea market finds that I strung together. I love my lightning bolt necklace- a gift from a music video that I worked on- because it's the perfect subltle statment piece.
 
And voila!  There you have it: an outfit that lets me explore my tough side without blending into the crowd!
 
 
 
P.S. For those who follow me on Instagram, I teased a photo of my next blog post yesterday- check it out and get excited!  I can't wait to share my next fashion adventure with you all.  For those who don't follow me on Instagram, what are you waiting for??  @jdefino
 
Here's the preview of my next post:
 
 

1 comment: