- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.Id0FrFe2.dpuf Hell or High Fashion: Screen Queen

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Screen Queen

Skirt, Burberry.  Sweater, F21.  Shoes, H&M.  Bag, vintage.

I've always used clothing as a way to make a personal statement, but a new trend in the fashion world is making it easier than ever to get your point across.  Screened tees and statement sweaters are everywhere lately and I, for one, am really excited about it! 
 
Screened tees (t-shirts featuring screen printed graphics) used to have a very plebian feel.  Clothing with words and pictures blazoned across the front were for the masses, something you picked up at your father's company picnic or as merch at a concert.  But with the rise of the hipster came the rise of the screened tee: suddenly it was COOL to wear that company picnic shirt (with a healthy dose of irony), and retailers even started making faux-vintage clothing advertising imaginary little league teams and field days.  The high-end fashion world has finally caught up with under-the-radar hipsters, and now luxury statement shirts are all the rage. 
 

 
While I love the hipster interpretation, I wanted to upgrade my newest statement sweater with a Parisian-in-the-park feel to match it's message en francais.  The nautical stripes on this Forever 21 knit give it a springtime feel, so I imagined myself a French girl on her way to the local farmer's  market, and this is the outfit that I came up with!
 
It's Spring here in California but the days have actually been pretty gloomy and cold.  To achieve that warm-weather vibe and still protect myself from the LA elements, I chose pieces that look fresh and current but are executed in heavier wools.  This knit sweater paired perfectly with my favorite vintage find: a wool perma-pleated midi skirt from Burberry!  I found this gem hidden in the 80% off rack of Second Time Around in Boston years ago and it's been with me ever since.  Even though I don't get a lot of use out of this skirt, I feel like it's a legacy item that I can pass down to my granddaughters someday- what's more classic than vintage Burberry?!
 
 
I kept the rest of my outfit really simple- no jewelry, casual wedge sandals, easy straw purse.  I have endless coffee table books on French fashion, and it seems the mark of true Parisian style is not caring too much!  Obssessing over the perfect outfit and piling on the accessories tends to make you look like you're trying too hard, and that elusive "je ne sais quoi" is lost in the sauce.   Simplicity is key!
 
Of course, there are tons of other ways to fashionably flaunt the statement tee trend.  I snapped some pics a few weeks ago (pre-haircut) of some different ways to rock a screened look, like pairing an oversized sweater with skintight leggings or rolling up the sleeves on a short sleeved tee and combining it with an edgy skirt.
 
  

Fashion Tips from "Screen Queen":
 
1.  Get in on the screened tee action!  No matter how you wear it- ironic hipster or high-fashion fashionista- the look is cool, not corny.  Urban Outfitters has a great selection of funny statement tees & tanks for guys, and I'm loving the newest designer offerings for us girls.  This Nueva York tee and this cheeky "Tea Shirt" top are high on my list of must-haves!
 
2.  Even though it's technically Spring, we're experiencing left-over-winter-weather all over the country.  You can get a head start on Spring fashion by adding a few pieces to your collection that are bright and on-trend for the SS13 season, but are made of heavy knit cottons or warm wools. Maybe it's too cold to break out your favorite pink tank top right now, but try a pair of jeans in that same bright Spring pink- you'll be covered from the cold AND ready for the new season!
 
3.  In a style rut?  Create a character for yourself and dress to their personality!  In this outfit I became a young Parisian about town, which let me experiment with a new style.  Try dressing yourself as a 50s housewife, a 70s hippie, or a minimal 90s model- but limit yourself to what you already have in your closet.  That way, you get to experience a new way of putting things together, but it will still feel 100% you!
 
4.  Shop vintage and second-hand.  My vintage shopping runs have scored me this amazing Burberry skirt, classic Chanel flats, and quite a few Ferragamo bags that will always be in fashion.  I love the idea of buying a garment that has already lived a fabulous life!  I know these items will stand the test of time and be passed down from generation to generation.  It's never too early to start cultivating a collection that will be coveted by your kids and grandkids!
 

Did you guys see my StyleSnap on Instagram yesterday?  For mini-blogs between Hell or High Fashion posts, be sure to follow me @jdefino.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment