- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.Id0FrFe2.dpuf Hell or High Fashion: Pretty in Pleats

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Pretty in Pleats

Dress, Nanette Lepore.  Shoes, Vivienne Westwood + Melissa.

I was out browsing the racks of my favorite consignment shop in Boston the other day, not really looking to buy anything, when I was caught off guard by this adorable little Nanette Lepore dress.   It was so simple yet stunning on the hanger that I couldn't wait to try it on...five mintues later, I was out the door with my new dress in hand.  

I was instantly drawn to the bow belt and pretty pleated skirt-- details that could easily end up looking sickeningly sweet and too goody-goody, but Nanette Lepore found a way to make them incredibly sexy.  Thanks to the fitted, push-up top and the shortened hemline of the slip, this dress is perfect for a night out on the town.   I wore it to a gig I had in Boston last week and it was a big hit!




I added simple black heels (also with a bow detail) and kept the accessories to a minimum.

A lot of fashionistas claim that being stylish is all about layering and mixing-and-matching different pieces in interesting and new ways, which I totally admire.  But I think it also takes skill to recognize a piece that will shine brightest by itself- and those are the pieces I'm most often attracted to.  A statement necklace would've ruined this neckline, any sweaters or blazers would've covered up the shape, crazy shoes would've taken the eye away from the beautiful details of the dress.  I say, sometimes it's best to leave well enough alone!

No comments:

Post a Comment