- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.Id0FrFe2.dpuf Hell or High Fashion: Fringe Benefits

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Fringe Benefits

Vest, H&M.  Shirt and shoes, Target.  Pants, Zara.  Necklace, F21.
This weekend was one of the best weekends I've ever had!  My man and I decided to celebrate our 2 year anniversary with a trip to San Diego, and I could not have had a better time!  I kept meaning to snap blog pictures while we were out and about, but we were having too much fun to remember until our last day in town.  I hadn't planned on blogging this outfit, but my western-themed getup perfectly matched the Old Town San Diego surroundings and I couldn't resist posing for a few shots.
 
 
 
I thew this outfit into my suitcase at the last minute just to have a more casual option with me, and I'm glad I did.  It ended up being the perfect thing to wear to Old Town, a little town in SD that seems to have stopped time in the 1860s.
 
I really love the mix of textures in this outfit.  Denim and leather are SO classic together: think James Dean in his dungarees and leather jacket, or even cowboys in denim and leather chaps.  But I feel like this outfit manages to mix the two in a fresh way, which is always a good thing!  This look feels basic and familiar, but definitely not run-of-the-mill. 
 
A chambray (lightweight, plain-weave denim) shirt is a classic that should be in every wardrobe.  I only recently added one to my collection, and I've worn it a ton ever since!  Mixing it with contrasting denim jeans is a fun and on-trend look, and putting one under a blazer is office-appropriate and fresh.  Here, I opted to mix mine with leather-look leggings and a leather vest for a classic, edgy vibe.
 
 
 
A fringe-filled necklace served as the piece-de-resistance: it tied together all the western elements and brought an "Urban Cowgirl" feel to these seperates. 
 
One of my favorite fashion tricks lately has been mixing a short statement necklace with a classic collared button-down.  As you can see here, having such a sparkler at your neck brings all the attention up towards your face- and who doesn't want that?   It's also a feminine and badass way to take the stuffiness out of a buttoned up collared shirt.
 
 
 
I added my classic black Mary-Janes to finish it off.  These shoes have a chunky heel, so even though they're 4 inches high I feel totally supported.  For girls who want to try to wear heels but are scared of hobbling around, find the thickest heels you can.  I guarentee you'll be able to walk in them!
 
 
Fashion Tips from "Fringe Benefits":
 
1.  Casual doesn't have to mean sloppy.  There are so many comfy yet pulled-together options out there now: leggings that have a leather coating, soft denim button downs, and even tailored sweatpants and lace sweatshirts!  Having a few pieces like this in your arsenal will ensure that you look sharp even on your shlubby days.
 
2.  You can't go wrong wearing classics with a twist.  A crisp white button down?  Classic.  Pinning a quirky brooch (like this one from ASOS) on the lapel?  Twist!  For guys:  Wearing a sports coat over a tee shirt is classic.  Now add a hoodie in between the two and you've got your twist!
 
3.  Are you mostly a flats girl but looking to branch out?  Short, chunky heels are huge this season.  Try a pair like this to kickstart your new high-heel obsession!
 
 
\
I received a reader request for a makeup tutorial, so I'm going to tackle that with my next post- it's going to be about all the little extras (makeup, hair, mustaches & beards) that take a look to the next level!  Anything you'd like me to focus on?  Let me know!
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment