- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.Id0FrFe2.dpuf Hell or High Fashion: Five Days of Dresses

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Five Days of Dresses

I've been in a pretty deep fashion rut.  

Living in Los Angeles was starting to take its toll on my style; I succumbed to the easy, laid-back vibe of the city and could hardly be bothered to dress up the same jeans-and-tee-shirt combo past a pair of high heels.  Balancing my career as a social media coordinator and writer at my day job (read my blogs on stylehaus.com/blog!) with  my own start-up business as a personal shopper leaves little time (and money) for shopping, so my wardrobe hasn't been getting any new action, either.

Finally, something snapped me out of my funk last week!  After reorganizing my closet and selling half of it to Wasteland, I decided to challenge myself. My new "5 Days Of..." challenge means that I spend 5 days wearing one kind of clothing- 5 Days of Dresses, 5 Days of Skirts, etc. in the hopes of reigniting my passion for (my own) fashion.  To ensure that I don't cheat, I'm documenting my challenge on Hell or High Fashion. Here are my 5 Days of Dresses!


Day 1.

Dress, Cynthia Vincet.  Boots, Joie.  Clutch, MCM.  Necklace, Forever 21.

On Day 1, I wanted to make sure that I stayed comfy- the last thing I needed was an uncomfortable dress to make me regret my self-imposed challenge.  I opted for this Cynthia Vincent sweater dress (which I pulled out of the donation pile at the last second) with over-the-knee boots, an oversized MCM clutch, and a chain-link necklace.  I like this look because it's pretty basic, but mixes neutrals in a fun and unexpected way.  There's a fashion rule in place that says, "Don't mix black and brown."  But breaking the rules is fun, and I think it works!


Day 2.

Shirt, DVF.  Overalls, Forever 21.  Shoes, J Crew.  Bracelets, Vintage & Forever 21.

On Day 2, things got a little more playful.  I pulled this short sleeved sweater (I love the flower applique detail on the sleeves) and overall dress out of my "Tailoring" pile and got to work-- I was able to fix the flaws on both of these pieces with my limited sewing skills, saving myself a trip to the tailor.  Excited to have them back in rotation, I wore them together and added heeled loafers and a few gold bangles!



Day 3.


Dress, H&M.  Jacket, Forever 21.  Bag, Betsey Johnson.  Belt, Vintage.  Shoes, Sam Edelman.

By Day 3 I was back to my old self, accentuating my waistline and piling on the accessories!  I hadn't worn this dress in almost a year (it was my Thanksgiving 2012 dress), and it was about time it got some love.  A cute keyhole-detailed belt in navy cinched my waist, and a bomber jacket thrown over my shoulders provided a trendy touch (check out my article on the over-the-shoulder trend here).  Nude pumps and a bulldog-boasting Betsey Johnson bag were ladylike finishing touches!


Day 4:

Dress, Topshop.  Sweater and boots, Forever 21.  Bangles, Jewelmint.  Bag, Will Leather Goods.
Dress, Forever 21.  Shoes, Target.  Necklace, Topshop.

On Day 4 I went back to my laid-back comfort zone, but managed to make it work with a dress!  Slip dresses, like this one from Topshop, are ideal for feminine but comfortable outfits; they look chic but feel like pajamas!  A chunky cardigan kept me warm, and chunky black and gold boots were a masculine contrast to the feminine leopard print.

I changed into this LBD for a whiskey tasting date night with my man, and accessorized with leopard pumps and a lucite statement necklace.  Simple but perfect for a night out on the town!



Day 5:

Dress, DVF.  Shoes, Topshop.  Bag, Forever 21.
Day 5 brought me to the end of my 5 Days Of Dresses challenge, so I celebrated my success with my favorite Diane von Furstenberg wrap dress!  This dress is a go-to for me: it's taken me from job interviews to first dates to styling gigs and it's never let me down. When I wear it I feel flirty, feminine, and strong- there's no stopping me in my DVF!  I paired it with floral pumps from Topshop, a ladylike bag, and a tiny beetle pin on my lapel.


So there you have it...I'm slowly but surely climbing out of my style rut.  Next week, I'll show you guys how I inject style into printed pants and dressy slacks in 5 Days Of Pants!

Do you have any suggestions?  What should I do 5 Days Of next?

1 comment: